Tabarez keen to move on from Suarez ´witch-hunt´

Uruguay have put the witch-hunt of Luis Suarez behind them to focus on the Copa America, says coach Oscar Tabarez.

Uruguay are planning for life without Luis Suarez as Oscar Tabarez aims to put the witch-hunt surrounding his FIFA ban behind them.

Suarez will not be available for the Copa America later this year following his nine-match ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay s clash with Italy at the World Cup.

Tabarez branded the punishment as excessive at the time and quit his role with FIFA s strategic committee, but he has put the incident behind him.

I m not angry, told ca2015.com, the official website of the Copa America. I can t object to a punishment for a footballer when he has done something that is not permitted in the rules – that…

Porto and Lyon vying for Mexico starlet

Portuguese daily newspaper that FC Porto and Lyon are locked in the battle for Club America striker Raul Jimenez.

The Dragons seem to be preparing for life without Jackson Martinez and they see the young Mexican as a good long-term replacement.

French giants Lyon are also showing interest, but latest reports suggest that FC Porto have the upper hand at the moment.

Club America officials are ready to cash in on their prized asset and are reportedly holding out for €6 million.

Raul Jimenez, 23, has spent his entire career up to date with the Mexican giants, having joined the club back in 1999.

He has since made a total of 92 league outings, scoring 32 goals and helping the club win the 2012/2013 Clausura title.

Jimenez was part of Mexico…

DFB hit back after Ballack´s Loew attack

German Football Federation (DFB) president Theo Zwanziger hit back on Wednesday following national team captain Michael Ballack s criticism of die Mannschaft coach Joachim Loew.

Germany coach Loew and team manager Oliver Bierhoff discussed the matter on Wednesday morning in an emergency phone conference call with Zwanziger, who is in Zurich at a FIFA conference.

The DFB bosses are angry after Ballack criticised Loew in a interview with newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) on Tuesday in which he said the national coach should show his senior players more respect and loyalty.

I am disappointed with Michael Ballack over his style, said Zwanziger.

His comments have led to a complicated and difficult situation developing.

The team has d…

Premier League predictions – City to send a message to United?

Here we go with this weekend’s Premier League predictions. Last week, I predicted that Arsenal would lose as a treat for all the Arsenal fans on the basis that I always get their result wrong. Of course, they went and lost at Manchester City. I just don’t know what to do for the best!

In last weekend’s predictions I only two right. Not very good you might think, but on the BBC, their expert Mark Lawrenson only got one! Shows how difficult this lark is! Anyway, I reckon I’m going to get most of them right today.

(I’ve actually asked my son Joe to do the predictions so it’s his fault if they are woeful and my brilliant idea if they are good! If this doesnâ€â„�…

Oscar confident ahead of new Chelsea season

Chelsea midfielder Oscar is confident he and his club will have improved fortunes ahead of the new Premier League season.

The 2015-16 campaign was nothing short of a nightmare for the London club, as the then-defending champions slumped to a 10th-place finish as Jose Mourinho was relieved of his duties and the team missed out on Champions League football in 2016-17.

But Oscar is positive Chelsea have made the right changes to get back on track under new head coach Antonio Conte, while some positive pre-season performances have only increased the Brazilian s confidence.

Conte has tinkered with a number of tactical systems, but Oscar feels most comfortable in a 4-3-3.

I think we have played better with the 4-3-3 than when we have played 4-2-4, but we have …

Griezmann will play for Barca, I´ve known since March – Atletico Madrid CEO

Atletico Madrid CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin claims he has known since March that Antoine Griezmann will play for Barcelona next season.

Griezmann revealed his desire to leave Atletico for a new challenge just before the end of the 2018-19 campaign, despite signing a new contract last June.

When Griezmann agreed his new deal, he announced his decision in a documentary-style video, putting an end to prolonged speculation linking him with Barcelona.

He was not at his sparkling best for Atletico this season, however, scoring 15 times in 37 league matches, a significant decline from the haul of 19 in 32 games the previous term.

. : These five years have been incredible. Thank you very much for everything, I carry you in my heart.

— Atlético de Madri…

Orbaiz leaves Rubin Kazan

Spanish midfielder Pablo Orbaiz will be leaving Rubin Kazan in the summer, according to the Russian club.

The Russian giants announced on their official website that the experienced midfielder was leaving the club in the summer transfer window.

“The club wants to thank Pablo for his performances last season and wishes him every success in the future, both in football and in his personal life,” the statement read.

Orbaiz only signed a one-year contract when he arrived from Athletic Bilbao last summer, and he has decided not to renew his deal.

The experienced midfielder played a key role in Kazan this season, making a total of 36 competitive appearances for the club.

Pablo Orbaiz spent most of his playing days at Athletic Bilbao, featuring in 2…

Bayern destined to dominate Bundesliga once again

After romping to Bundesliga glory last season and now boasting eight World Cup winners, Bayern Munich look set to dominate again in 2014-15.

After the quadruple-winning campaign of 2012-13 under Jupp Heynckes, incoming boss Pep Guardiola had an impossible act to follow in his first season in charge.

However, the former Barcelona coach swept all before him on the domestic front at least as Bayern cruised to a successful defence of their league crown.

They managed it in some style, too, sealing the title with seven matches to spare before the end of March.

Of the 27 matches prior to securing the title, Bayern won 25 and drew two, and their unbeaten league run stretched to 53 games until a 1-0 loss at Augsburg in early April.

The bare numbers fail to…

Shearer given eight games to save Newcastle

Alan Shearer is to become Newcastle s fourth manager this season after agreeing to take on the challenge of saving the club he used to captain from relegation.

Shearer, 38, a hero to the Magpies fans for his exploits on the pitch, had long been tipped as a future manager of the club but he could never have envisaged taking over in such difficult circumstances.

Newcastle are currently third from bottom of the Premier League, two points adrift of Blackburn, the club currently occupying the last survival spot.

Shearer, who has no coaching experience, has just eight games to save the club from the financially calamitous consequences of relegation and Chelsea s visit on Saturday means he could hardly have a tougher start to his rein.

Newcastle turned to Shear…

Le Guen to stand down at PSG – club sources

Paul Le Guen will stand down as coach of Paris St Germain when his contract expires at the end of this season, club sources told AFP on Tuesday.

A former France international defender who made 343 appearances for PSG, Le Guen began his coaching career at Rennes but made his name in a three-year stint at Lyon during which he led the side to three league titles.

After a disastrous eighth-month spell in charge of Scottish giants Rangers, Le Guen returned to PSG in January 2007, narrowly sparing the team from relegation in his first two seasons and securing the League Cup in 2008.

This season has seen the capital side challenge for top honours with a much improved side and with four games to go until the end of the season they are in fourth place eight points behind…